Creative careers are highly sought-after and cover an array of different job roles. Ever thought about creating your own video game? Wondered what it would be like to set up the lighting for a big production? Interested in directing and producing television? Desperate to create and market your own fashion lines? Well, the Creative Industry covers all of this and more.
Here in Buckinghamshire, we have a wealth of employers and education courses to help you achieve your dream of turning that creative thing you love, into a long term career.
FACTS AND FIGURES:
- There are currently around 4,600 Creative Industries Companies set up in Buckinghamshire and Milton Keynes. Of these, 1,200 companies create business-facing software, 1,000 companies are involved in TV, Film and Video production and distribution, 850 companies are involved with Advertising, PR and Media representation, and 30 companies develop computer games.
- Over a quarter of these companies are located near Pinewood Studios. The home of the British Film Industry and the James Bond and Star Wars franchises, Pinewood is located within Buckinghamshire. It has ambitions for further growth over the next few years and hopes to create thousands of new jobs, meaning one of these could be yours.
- The number of creative companies in Buckinghamshire has tripled over the last decade. That’s evidence which proves just how creative local people are.
- At least 15,000 people are employed by a Creative Industry Company, with a great deal more employed on a freelance basis - giving power to flexible working and autonomy.
- The national average percentage of freelance workers in the Creative Industry is 6%. However, in Milton Keynes and Buckinghamshire the percentage of freelance workers in the local Creative Industry is 16%.
- Within Buckinghamshire’s Creative Industries, Virtual Reality and Augmented Reality are key growth areas.
Buckinghamshire is home to a wealth of creative employers, such as Pinewood
, British Film Designers Guild
, British Forces Broadcasting Service
, CTV Outside Broadcasts
, Fremantle Media UK
and A.C. Entertainment
. Not only this, but we are also home to a number of cultural employers making our area great for cultural capital, with employers such as Aylesbury Waterside Theatre
, Wycombe Swan Theatre
, The Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre
, Chiltern Open Air Museum
and The Rothschild Foundation
The National Film and Television School (NFTS)
, based in Beaconsfield, has also shown excellent workforce results, with the graduate employment rate increasing to 93%. NFTS also champions more diverse alumni overall, with 1 in 4 recent graduates being BAME, versus only 3% in the industry overall.
ROUTES INTO THE CREATIVE INDUSTRIES:
Looking to get into the Creative Industry? You can find a variety of courses to launch your career right here in Buckinghamshire. Use the list below as a starting point for what you could study.
- Bucks New University offers 25 creative-based degrees including BA Creative Writing for Publication, BA Interior and Spatial Design, and BA Dance and Performance.
- Bucks College Group offers an extensive range of level 1-4 Creative Media and Art and Design courses including more technical ones such as Level 3 in CGI, Live Action and Animation.
- Buckinghamshire's National Film and Television School is a sought-after launchpad for careers into the creative industry, providing part-time, full-time, online and short courses in a range of subjects for certificate, diploma and masters level postgraduate study.
- The University of Buckingham offer courses in Digital News and Media
- Berkshire College of Agriculture offers courses in both Production and Performing Arts.
- Milton Keynes College has a wide selection of courses including Games, Animation and Design, as well as Creative and Performing Arts courses.
- Buckinghamshire Adult Learning offer a wealth of creative courses including Creative Writing, Digital Photography, Drawing and Painting, Pottery, Upholstery and more!